Artificial Intelligence (AI) is a branch of computer science that deals with creating “intelligent” machines that can perform human tasks
AI machines “learn” through a process called Machine Learning (ML).
Machine Learning is a subfield of AI which provides machines the ability to learn by discovering patterns in huge volumes of data.
AI has become more popular in recent years because of the availability of much more data, improvements in computer storage/power, and more advanced algorithms.
Subfields of AI
- Machine Learning – provides machines the ability to learn
- Deep Learning – provides machines ability to mimic brain’s neural network
- Cognitive Computing
- Computer Vision
- Natural Language Processing (NLP)
- Data Mining
Types of AI
- Reactive Machines: AI machines designed to do a specific job. They do not form memories (Ex. automatic coffee maker)
- Limited memory: AI that uses past experiences and current data to make decisions (Ex. self-driving cars)
- Theory of mind: AI that can socialize and understand human emotions. They have not been built yet
- Self awareness: AI that is conscious. These systems are the future of AI and are yet to be built